The UNC School of Social Work is the 5th ranked social work program in the country. Many of the other graduate programs here are also ranked in the top 10. As many people know our men’s basketball team is highly ranked year after year. We get so much attention about our men’s basketball team that people looking to come to school rarely know about all the other wonderful sports teams on campus. So if you are interested in high quality sporting events read this carefully and be amazed by UNC’s and the Atlantic Coast Conference’s (ACC) little sports secret.
National Ranking # of Ranked ACC Teams
- Football 21 4 of the top 25 teams in the country
- Men’s Soccer 3 10 of the top 30 teams in the country
- Women’s Soccer 8 7 of the top 25 teams in the country
- Field Hockey 3 7 of the top 20 teams in the country
- Women’s Basketball 20 5 of the top 25 teams in the country
- Men’s Basketball #1 (Of Course) 4 of the top 25 teams in the country
What do you think about these rankings? Tarheel sports are amazing. But wait the best part is yet to come. With the exception of Men’s Basketball students only have to show up and use their student ID to get in all UNC sporting events free of charge. For men’s basketball there are several non-conference games where you just have to show up with your student ID to get in. However, all conference games are on a lottery system that can be somewhat confusing for first time users. Students who win tickets through the lottery get 2 student tickets so they can take a student friend. All graduating students automatically get 1 ticket tot he electrifying UNC vs. Duke game as long as they enter the lottery.
Here are some quick tips on what you need to do to be sure you get the most out of the Tarheels sports experience.
- Be sure to sign up for Carolina Fever before classes start. There are fever event throughout the year where you earn points for swag and for men’s basketball tickets. The top 150 points earners automatically get premium tickets for men’s basketball games they enter the lottery for.
- Open and read all Carolina Fever emails.
- Go to as many sporting events as possible. Going to events other than men’s basketball is how you get points.
- Wear lots of Carolina Blue and have fun!
I know what you may be thinking. This sounds wonderful but will I have time to go to games as a graduate student? The answer is…. that depends. I have had the opportunity to attend all home football games, almost all home basketball games, numerous soccer games, and many home baseball games since I have been on campus. My secret is that I plan my course work schedule around sporting events. If I have a paper due Monday and there’s a football game this weekend I will be sure I have that paper mostly finished by Friday night. I also utilize mobile devices to complete readings while waiting in line to get in a game, while waiting for the game to start, and during half-time. If you have the will there is definitely a way to attend many sporting events and be a successful graduate student.
I will graduate before you start classes but I will be a sporting events on this campus for many years to come. I hope to see you there.